Now that you know the benefits of a keto diet and how you can lose weight without asking your tongue to compromise, it is the right time you should start planning for adopting a ketogenic diet into your meal plan.
Losing weight without compromising taste and food items, what else a person can wish for. And the best part is you don’t have to spend hours and hours and money to lose weight.
Based on research, it has been proven that sticking to low carb and high-fat diet can help you cut extra fat and also helps in keeping various diseases under control.
You may wonder, how can a low carb and high-fat diet help you cut down extra fat. But it’s true. Just follow the Keto meal plan for 3 months and you yourself will notice the change.
The best part of the Ketogenic diet is that you can have a variety of options, unlike other diet plans where you have limited options.
In this article, we have covered all possible food products that a beginner can put into his keto diet plan. So if you are looking to lose weight through Ketogenic diet and don’t know where to start from, this is the right guide for you. Here we will help newbies to prepare a keto diet plan for beginners to extract maximum benefits by investing much lesser time compared to normal dieting. The beginners have to prepare a chart for a week from the list of items given in the keto diet menu and then they have to follow this plan in a round-robin fashion and sit back and notice the changes in your body.
Ketogenic Diet Overview
Even though this is already mentioned in our article about the benefits of Keto diet, still we are giving a slight overview of the functionality of ketogenic diet for those who didn’t get time to go through the article. However, it is recommended to go through our article Keto Diet: A must-read guide for beginners to get a deep insight into this topic. Remember this is something related to your health and sparing a few minutes is never a bad idea.
As already mentioned that Keto diet is very low in carbs ( generally under 50 grams a day), high in fat and moderate in proteins.
To be precise, ketogenic diet fats replace carbs and typically comprise 75-80% of your daily calorie intake. Proteins are around 20% and Carbs as low as 5%
Due to this carb-cutting from your diet, the body is forced to consume fats as main source of energy rather than relying on glucose. In medical terms, this process is termed as ketosis.
During ketosis, the body uses ketones produced from fats in our liver as a source of energy. Study shows that this way of losing weight is far more effective than exposing your body to low-fat diet plans. Apart from this Ketogenic diet reduces hunger. Due to this, you will never fall victim to overeating which is the major cause of fat inside the body.
Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan
Adopting a Keto diet is very easy as there are very fewer restrictions on what you can incorporate in your diet plan. All you need to take care of is to look for those food items which have negligible or low carb content.
The whole idea is to bring your body to ketosis and here there is something that you solely have to notice.
Different bodies react differently to low carbs. But one thing that is common is the lesser you take the carbs in your diet, the more are the chances for your body going to ketosis. So if you are onto it, then try to get your body to ketosis as soon as possible by cutting down the carb intake to a minimum.
List of food items which qualify to be in the list of Ketogenic Diet
Below is the list of items that should be a part of your diet. This keto diet menu will help your body to attain the state of ketosis very easily.
- Poultry: Turkey and Chicken.
- Eggs: Pastured and organic whole eggs
- Fatty fishes like Wild-caught salmon, mackerel and herring
- Beef, organ meats, venison, pork, and bison.
- Butter, yogurt, and cream.
- Cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese, brie, and cream cheese.
- Nuts, almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and flaxseeds
- Peanut, cashew butter, and almond.
- Coconut oil, olive oil,coconut butter, avocado oil and sesame oil.
- Non-starchy vegetables like greens, broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, and peppers.
- Salt, pepper, vinegar, fresh herbs, lemon juice, and spices.
Foods to Avoid
Below is the list of food that should be avoided when you are putting yourself into a ketogenic diet.
- Sugar, ice cream, maple syrup, candy, coconut sugar, and agave syrup
- Whole-wheat bread, White bread, crackers, doughnuts, cookies, and rolls.
- Noodles and spaghetti.
- Juice, Soda, sports drinks and sweetened teas
- Wheat, breakfast cereals, rice, oats, and tortillas.
- Chickpeas, Black beans, kidney beans, and lentils
- Beer and sugar mixed drinks.
- Potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, corn, pumpkin, and peas.
- Citrus, grapes, bananas, and pineapple.
- Barbecue sauce, dipping sauces, and sugary salad dressings
Additionally, you have to shred out these items from your keto diet menu list as these items are an unhealthy source of fats
- Margarine, shortening and vegetable oils such as canola and corn oil.
- Packaged foods, Fast food, and processed meats such as hot dogs, etc.
- Foods that contain artificial colors, preservatives, and sweeteners such as sugar alcohols and aspartame.
Beverages like juice, soda, iced tea, and coffee drinks often contain high sugar content. These are to be avoided while you are on a ketogenic diet as these contain a high amount of carbs in them.
Below mentioned is the list of beverages that you can incorporate in your diet plan :
- Sparkling water
- Unsweetened Coffee
- Green tea
Healthy Ketogenic Snack Options
There are plenty of options in the keto diet menu for snacks to choose from if you feel like eating anything in between your routine plan. This has an added advantage that it will stop you from overeating. So depending upon your mood and activity level you can choose from the below-written snacks, Snacking between meals can help moderate hunger and keep you on track while following a ketogenic diet.
- Almonds and cheddar cheese
- Trail mix made with unsweetened coconut, nuts, and seeds
- Guacamole with low-carb veggies
- Half an avocado stuffed with chicken salad
- Coconut chips
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Olives and sliced salami
- Kale chips
- Berries with heavy whipping cream
- Cheese roll-ups
- Celery and peppers with herbed cream cheese dip
- Macadamia nuts
- Greens with high-fat dressing and avocado
- Avocado cocoa mousse
- Keto smoothie made with coconut milk, cocoa, and avocado
Always keep in mind your prime motive ( losing weight ). So even though we have listed some keto-friendly snacks but that doesn’t mean that you keep on munching them whole day and night. These are just to support you when your feeling too much hunger or can be taken some time for pleasure also. Taking them in excessively will increase your weight
The central idea here is the same, over-eating is to be avoided and sticking to the diet plan is necessary. You have to bring your body to ketosis as soon as possible and once you are done with this you will feel the changes.
With so many options to choose from, you can have a variety in your diet plan and you won’t have to compromise with the taste also.
Mind it: Even though you have plenty of options to choose from but it is always recommended to prepare a chart week on week and stick to it. Cheating your plan once in a fortnight is Ok but try to avoid this as much as possible.
P.S: If you want us to prepare a diet plan for us, drop in your e-mail id and we will send you a customized one-week diet plan.